Like many of the best recipes, the lemon detox uses only a few high quality ingredients that are guaranteed to get your tastebuds salivating…
To Make 1 Glass (295ml/10 oz)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (approx. 1⁄2 lemon), organic if possible
- 2 tablespoons grade B maple syrup, organic if possible
- 1/10th teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 230 ml/8 oz filtered water, room temperature
Put all the ingredients into a food processor, or into or a bottle or jar with a lid, mix it and it’s ready to drink.
How Often Should You Drink?
Simple – whenever you’re hungry, you drink.
It’ll usually work out somewhere between 6-12 glasses per day. It could be more or less depending on what you’re doing that day and how much energy you’re expending.
As making the mixture 12 times a day is often impractical, here’s the recipe to make a larger batch. Take note that you shouldn’t pre-mix the whole batch…
To Make A 2 litre/7 Glass Batch
- 3-4 freshly squeezed lemons (organic if your budget and availability allows)
- 175 ml of grade B maple syrup, organic if possible
- 7/10th teaspoon of cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1600 ml/56 oz filtered water
Put it all in a food processor, or bottle, and mix.
Be careful here - if you pre-mix all the ingredients together and leave it for too long, the enzymes in the lemon can die and the cayenne can stew and make the liquid very hot.
To avoid this store in the fridge or a cool, dark place and drink it all on the same day you prepare it.
- Always use fresh lemons only – and go organic if budget/availability allows
- Always use either grade B or C maple syrup, where possible organic. If unlabelled, most store sold maple syrup will be grade B. Never use maple syrup flavoured sugar.
- You can experiment with the amount of maple syrup. The maple syrup provides the calories in the diet – if you want more energy, add more maple syrup.
- Don’t alter the amount of lemon juice.
Once you’ve prepared a few batches, you’ll get used to the measurements and can do most of it by sight, so you won’t be spending hours measuring out exact quantities.
The only measurement you really need to keep constant is the lemon juice – the maple syrup, cayenne and water can be adjusted to suit your tastes.
And after a few days drinking you’ll quickly work out the prefect combination for your individual palette – are you hot and spicy or sweet and juicy?!
Now get stuck into the day by day account of my first lemon detox Day 1 – Berlin To Ibiza, Raw Food To No Food which I did in Ibiza.
Or go back to The 20 Post MasterClass menu.